Bill is a bunny

Monday, March 06, 2006

Make mine with Critters!

I used my copy of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian to teach the kids about quotation marks today. If you've ever read Mr. McCarthy then you know what I mean.

I'm more pleased tha usual with the outcome of the Oscars last night. Sure, Grizzly Man got snubbed and Terrence Howard was excellent but what can you do? At least they spread the awards around this year instead of letting one film walk away with everything. Those are the best years and usually only happen once a decade.

EXCELLENT weekend. No shows but good times and great oldies were had by young Master Vidrine, thank you very much. Missed the Stadanko Brothers last show which makes me a bit sad, but then again one of them recently councilled me to break up The Vidrines as quickly as possible and begin another band. Um, no thanks, but glad you showed the interest in what we do.

Didn't watch the Oscars last night. Instead I sat down with a copy of Critters from 1985. This was the first PG-13 movie I ever saw and is still one of my guilty pleasures. Little rolling alien furballs with big appetites and bad attitudes. Ah, the 1980's! A time when aliens were lethal and jokes were purient. Well, actually that's still the case today but I was younger then so it seemed fresher. The Critters (or CRITES as they are known on their home world) escape from an intergalactic prison and head to Earth where they attack a farm house and attempt to eat the family inside. Alien bounty hunters with melty faces come after them and destroy even more stuff than the creatures they are supposed to be stopping. Of course these alien bounty hunter guys really don't give a toss about Earth or humanity. Tehy're just doing their jobs, which makes the dry humor in their scens extra sweet. The Critters speak in this kinda hyper-roadrunner talk that is subtitles occasionally for "witty" comments on the action. The guys who did the FX for this baby were the Chiodo Bros. perhaps most famous for giving the world Killer Klown from Outer Space . another of my favorites from the 1980s cable box. Oh yeah, and Dee Wallace Stone is in this. You're a long way from ET, sweetheart!

I'ver run out of time. Maybe later this week I'll post a review of The Hills Have Eyes (the original) in preparation for the remake. I'm actually looking forward to this one. Alex Aja did a great job with Haute Tension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home