Bill is a bunny

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

My Arrogance

I'm fuming a bit right now because someone called me arrogant recently. Well, actually they called The Vidrines arrogant but that means me by reflection. At first I thought, "Hell, no! I'm the least arrogant fella you could ever lay eyes upon! I'm riddled with self-doubt, terrified of the world around me and insecure in my role in the band." But then I got to thinking maybe there was truth to that. Maybe I am arrogant. Hang on a second. I'm going to go look the word up in the dictionary...

Overbearing pride or self-importance. Yep, that's me. In fact that's anyone who ever picked up a pen to tell a story. If I am not important to myself then who else will make me so? My mother? You? If I did not write then what would I do, stand around with a hand full of holes, a thumb up my ass and a big grin to pass the time of day with? Abe Licoln was arrogant, Gandhi was arrogant, the fucking Buddha and Jesus Christ were arrogant. And so am I. Want to make something of it?

Arrogance is the trait that moves mankind forward. If we were meek and mild as a honey child you think we'd risk it all for glory? And that's what I want: glory and fame and all that go with it. And I'm sure there's more that goes with it than I know.

Do you come with it? Can I get you if I stay in my place and keep my feet on the ground? Hell, no! I'll win you and your heart with my spectacle, my sincerity of pride, my heart on my sleeve. And when I win you you will laugh and dance with me outside my apartment in the moonlight under a pink sky dotted with birds returning from their winter hideaways. And they have returned as surely as love has returned to my lousy little corner of this lousy little world. But the world doesn't seem so little or so lousy with you and me holding each other in the moonlight with the sky above us and the world within us. God! I haven't felt like this since the last time my heart broke and you know it was worth it then too. It's always worth it to risk, to dare, to fail and fall. Such spectalular trajectories are seen in the air when we fall. Will you fall with me? Of course you will! Because I love you and that is enough and important and true. And truth has been in short supply not only in this country but in this world and I am Prometheus come down from the mountain with that fire which will burn you and set the gods upon me with chains and birds and my liver is already spotty but maybe it will grow back. And maybe it won't but what does that matter. My self is important and that is enough. If it wasn't would I turn to God or prayer or you? Does the question matter if my self is important to me?

13 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Reve said…

    ...okay. So who is s/he?

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Noma said…

    Arrogance is a bigger accessory to rock stardom than a tattoo even. I wouldn't worry about it. You're just dressed for success.

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger Brett Roman said…

    I wonder if the person who made the arrogant comment has ever done any performance art. You have to be confident to do what musicians do, it takes a lot of work and balls to get on stage and perform. Sometimes this fact is lost on those that has the hard job of drinking beer while they criticize musicians.
    If being a rock star was easy then everyone would be one. There are some that don’t know how to turn the bullshit off when they leave the stage, but I have never experienced this with any of the Vidrines.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger kaycee... said…

    hey sweetie,
    nice rant.
    you always were good with the pink sky poetry.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Corbin said…

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

    I hate to argue with a good rant, but this isn't a good rant. And as a Christian and a Buddhist, I have every hope that you do not sincerely believe these holy people to have been arrogant. Such a conviction will only lead to further pain and confusion.

    Obviously this person struck a nerve, or we wouldn't be hearing about it. So give us a few context clues, and maybe we can help you sort through it and release the distress that it obviously has created inside you.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Anonymous billy said…

    Ah so I refuted a weaker arguement than you put forth? Excuse me, I must not have understood what you meant by your comments. I'm sure as a Christian and a Buddhist they were motivated by compassion and empathy, not sour grapes. My mistake.

     
  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh man! what did you delete? what did it say? why did you do it? i have to know! i have to know!!!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Anonymous billy said…

    I deleted the same post as above. It got posted twice. None of THIS is gonna get taken down by me.

     
  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Reve said…

    Hmm. I believe the deleted anonymous message read "All holy men are fools. And all fools are arogant [sic]." I suppose THAT's what's being refered to?

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Billy Vidrine said…

    Mayhap, it was. Hmm, now that I think on it I believe it was taken down because I misspelled "arrogant" and could not correct it as it was written anonymously. Are you ever going to call me back, Reve?

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't bet on it.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    if you stop and think arrogance is a thing that is almost never taged the right way it is not when you know you are right and you let everone see that you know you are right it when you will never even think you might be wrong.

    somthing from a old man

     

Post a Comment

<< Home